My Little Corner of the Net

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Shabby Chic Cabin Fireplace

After working on the deer head head for my Shabby Chick Cabin, I was inspired to work on it a little more.  I had started a fireplace for it, and was inspired to finish it up.


I wanted to finish the cabin in something that was a little out of my comfort zone, with an all white palette.


I started with a small picture frame that I picked up at an estate sale for 25 cents.   I took it apart and started by cutting off some of the 45 degree ends , but it was going to be too small.  I decided to add the wood block in the middle.  

The firebox of the fireplace was made of some scrap book paper with a white brick motif.  I attached another piece of wood to serve as the mantel and painted the whole think brown.  This was a technique that I have been using on all of the woodwork in the cabin.

The brown paint gets a coat of crackle finish medium and them some white paint.

This view shows the fireplace all assembled and ready to install.  I added a light gray wash to dirty up the back a little.

This view shows the fireplace installed.
The fire box is recessed into a chimney on the exterior. 

To see how this project started, click HERE

3 comments:

  1. Hello Troy,
    Your distressing technique looks great! It is perfect for that room.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool!!! I love the way you've added a new top for the mantle and also the way you've finished the unit.
    A perfect fit with the rest of the wood trims and with that marvellous deer head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Troy - Your all-white color palette is beautiful and is a perfect setting for the wonderful deer head. The firebox idea is ingenious; I'd like to copy your inventive idea sometime. I also really like the crackle finish technique on the fireplace. The cabin is looking great; I'm eager to see more progress.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete