My Little Corner of the Net

Friday, February 15, 2019

Shabby Chic Cabin Roof & Porch

I have been having fun working on my Shabby Chic Cabin project.  
Here is a progress photo of the roof and porch.

The cabin was a club workshop project that the local miniature club did a while back.  We put together kits to build the cabin and invited regional members to Tulsa on a Saturday to build the cabins.  The cabin came with a small piece of foam core for the floor, a couple of small posts and a small roof.  I decided to do something a bit more grand!

 Here is an AutoCAD drawing that I did to study the porch and roof.
I browsed a few architecture books and Pinterest to do some research on eyebrow dormer windows, then drew a few options of the dormer to see which one I liked.  I had decided to do the cabin interior in a "Shabby Chic" all white palette.  It's basically an upscale 'She-Shed'  This drove my decision on the eyebrow to the curved window mullions.  

One of the dilemmas I had with the cabin furniture placement was that there isn't really enough space inside for a nice seating area, a kitchen and a table and chairs, so I decided to make the porch deep enough to comfortably house the table and chairs.  

The floor and wall of the cabin are made from 1/2" thick foam board.  The exterior of the cabin is covered with vinyl flooring that is cut into strips. I found some square wooden posts at the local hobby store that were roughly the same width as the "logs" on the walls.  I figured that the posts would look like the same wood that the walls were constructed of.

The floor of the cabin and porch are covered with scrap book paper.  I like the color of the wood print, but the boards were a little out of scale.  I divided each of the boards in half with a black pen to make it seem more like a believable scale.

Here is the paper glued in place and the corners cut out for the posts.  I also removed a piece of the vinyl flooring on the walls where the posts tie back into the structure.  I figured it would be more structural and easier to glue to the foam core.  I also used wooden dowels in the foam board between the porch floor and cabin floor to add extra support.

I stained the posts and glued them in place.


I decided to keep the ends of the porch open at the gable ends for a more contemporary look.  The roof is made from 1/4" foam core.

I transferred the measurements from the cad drawing to the roof and cut a hole for the dormer.

I cut the front of the dormer out of mat board and glued it in place. I constructed a framework out of bass wood and glued it in place with tacky glue.

I painted the underside of the structure white.

After the framework was dry, I glued a piece of cardboard to the room and frame members.

 I finished off all of the exposed edges of the foam core roof with thin strips of balsa wood and sanded and painted them with the same technique that I was using on the rest of the project.  ( brown paint, crackle finish, then a coat of the white paint)

 The kit came with corrugated cardboard for the roof.  I found a piece to do the same on the porch roof.  I painted the cardboard with a coat of metallic looking craft paint, but it was too shiny.  I did several washes of dark colors over that.


This was the piece that fits over the porch.  The dormer pokes through the hole.

Here a few shots that I took with some furniture.


I added some vinyl pieces around the base of the cabin and porch to finish it off.


Up next, I need to finish the stone on the fireplace chimney outside.  I have saved a few rough textured cardboard packing containers and I want to see what I can do with those.
Wish me luck!



7 comments:

  1. Hi Troy! This is such an interesting project.... so much is made from materials that are "faux" but look amazing in the scene! I love the screen door on the porch... it was a great idea to make that a living area! I bet you are learning a lot of techniques about making ordinary materials work for minis! It is really hard to believe the cabin is made from foam core!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your floor is FABULOUS!!! What a Brilliant idea to divide the large planks in the way you did!
    I also think that your new roof over the porch was a stroke of Genius which gives your cabin a look of character and distinction- Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foam core. I can see the benefits. Maybe I should do a summer project using some, I'm just so hesitant, its durability and all. Your wee home is so lovely and it looks like you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Troy - I like this Shabby-Chic Cabin so much! You're using such interesting materials; the scrapbook paper for the floor has turned out perfectly realistic, and your metallic finish on the corrugated cardboard roof looks like the real thing. The dormer window is a nice touch, and I love the screen door! Good luck on the stone chimney - that cardboard packing material is amazing; I'm sure it's going to look just like real stone.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has sabido transformar perfectamente materiales cotidianos en perfectos acabados de suelo,tejado,porche y esa puerta de entrada que me encanta! Un trabajo perfecto!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es maravilloso ver como nuestros proyectos van tomando forma con tan diversos materiales.
    Esta quedando fantástica.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Troy,
    What a terrific job you did. The porch looks beautiful and I really like the beam construction of it. The flooring looks perfect, and the dormer is fantastic. You did a great job of figuring out how to build it. The cabin is so cozy and welcoming.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete