I have been collecting plastic drinking straws over the past few weeks trying to find just the right size. I was looking for one that was larger to use for the gutter and one that was flexible for the downspout.
I ended up using the teal ones for the downspout and the large milkshake straw in the white wrapper for the gutter.
Here was a trial fit of the downspout. Once I had the right shape, I used super glue to attach them together.
While the glue was drying I bent some sturdy wire to use as the supports.
I drilled holes in the end of the roof fascia to hold the supports. I used a hole punch to cut a hole in the gutter for the downspout, then trimmed it to fit and used super glue to hold it all together.
Once the glue was dry, I painted it dark brown. The red and teal were still showing through so I added another coat. Once that was dry, I added copper colored paint.
This is a view after I added some age and patina.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry and since I had all the shelves empty, I added some metallic copper looking vinyl wall covering to the ceiling of the dormer.
I liked the texture of the wallpaper sample and it reminded me of a modern version of a punched tin ceiling. I added some plain copper look paper to each side of the dormer because I didn't like how the angle of the roof looked with the angle of the hexagons.
Here are a few photos of the gutter and downspout in place.
I used a hole punch to cut out some cardboard ends for the gutter.
I like how the copper looks through the dormer.
To see the tutorial on how I made the shelves, click HERE