My Little Corner of the Net

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Copper Shop Gutters & Downspouts

I have been working on the exterior of my copper shop.  I decided to add a "copper" rain gutter and downspout.  I also added some wood trim to finish off the edges.  Here is a view of the downspout in place.


 I have been collecting plastic drinking straws over the past few weeks trying to find just the right size.  I was looking for one that was larger to use for the gutter and one that was flexible for the downspout.
I ended up using the teal ones for the downspout and the large milkshake straw in the white wrapper for the gutter.

Here was a trial fit of the downspout.  Once I had the right shape, I used super glue to attach them together.

While the glue was drying I bent some sturdy wire to use as the supports.  

I drilled holes in the end of the roof fascia to hold the supports.  I used a hole punch to cut a hole in the gutter for the downspout, then trimmed it to fit and used super glue to hold it all together.

Once the glue was dry, I painted it dark brown.  The red and teal were still showing through so I added another coat.  Once that was dry, I added copper colored paint.

This is a view after I added some age and patina.


While I was waiting for the paint to dry and since I had all the shelves empty, I added some metallic copper looking vinyl wall covering to the ceiling of the dormer.

I liked the texture of the wallpaper sample and it reminded me of a modern version of a punched tin ceiling.  I added some plain copper look paper to each side of the dormer because I didn't like how the angle of the roof looked with the angle of the hexagons. 


Here are a few photos of the gutter and downspout in place.   
I used a hole punch to cut out some cardboard ends for the gutter.

I like how the copper looks through the dormer.

To see the tutorial on how I made the shelves, click HERE

11 comments:

  1. Que aspecto tan real has conseguido en la bajada de aguas! me gusta el tejado con esa parte acanalada y el revestimiento interior metálico le queda perfecto!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very clever idea and looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Troy,
    I think your gutters are fantastic. the finish looks very realistic. I also think the copper ceiling is fantastic. What a wonderful touch.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Troy
    The addition of the ceiling paper and panels really classed up the joint! They look fabulous!
    I'd been contemplating just ordering gutter from HBS, but you, Elizabeth and Brae are pushing me toward making my own. Yours came out really neat, and I thank you for the tips. Gives me confidence to try!
    Great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Troy! I love how the copper ceiling looks. And your downspout and gutters are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I can't believe how well the pipes turned out! I've seen straws being used before but nothing to this effect. well done! I love the colours you used, My copper always ends looking too fake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Troy,
    Well done on the Copper Down Pipes - they look tremendous how you have finished them. I will most likely make some Copper Pipes for my Project and I'm interested in the Brand/Make of the 'Copper' Paint that you have used for your Building...? Cheers. KEV. (Sydney- Australia).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your copper downspouts and gutter Troy! They look Exactly right for this project and add yet another Important detail to this Delghtful little shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Troy - Your work on the downspouts and gutter is so impressive! What an ingenious idea to use the straws - but who would ever guess? The finish is perfect, and I love that you used the copper on the dormer ceiling as well. All in all, this is a wonderful piece of work.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing such a nice blog with useful information. I would like to know more about Copper Gutter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Gutter contractor in Jupiter FL

    ReplyDelete