My Little Corner of the Net

Monday, September 4, 2017

Cozy Cabin Front Door

I spent some time building a front door for my cabin project this weekend.


I spent a little time, mainly on Pinterest getting some ideas.  The white paper cut-out was my original concept from back when I started the project. 

  I started by cutting a piece of basswood the size of the door and cutting the window opening out.  This cabin was a kit, so the door openings are not a standard size.
 Then I cut the side pieces and the cross member and glued them to the door on the front and back.  
I scored lines to give the illusion of many pieces of wood instead of a solid piece.  Then did a dry fit, and glued it all together with craft glue.

I tried a new product "gel stain" available in the craft paint section.  You paint it on, let it sit for a while, then wipe it off.  It is water based and cleans up pretty easily.  It was a lot easier than oil-based wood stain.

 I glued on some metal straps that I had picked up a craft show and added some mini-faceted beads to give the illusion of iron rivets.  Then coated the entire thing with a clear coat.  It is a little more glossy than I would normally do, but live and learn.
These are the pieces of wood that I cut for the frame.  I set the door inside, and used pins for hinges at the top and bottom, then glued the frame in place.  The pieces on the paper are for the exterior trim.


Here is the door glued in place.  I have ordered a door latch and will update after it arrives.  The rocks around the front of the cabin are still a work in progress.





I was originally going to try some stained glass for the window, but I think I will stick with clear.  I have also been debating painting the trim to match the windows.

To see additional blog posts on my cabin, click the cabin label below.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous door! Very rustic. Love how your hardware turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love how your front door turned out AND the 2 log porch supports which are framing it.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Troy! You have a wonderful door! Clean glasses make it easier. She has a beautiful view of an old wooden door. Great job! Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is ~W~O~N~D~E~R~F~U~L~!!! I just want to sit in that chair and whittle while I listen to the chipmunks! What a fun build - Can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Una puerta preciosa con ese aire tan rústico y con un color y envejecido perfecto,se ve genial!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your artwork and follow you pots this very minute!
    หนังไทย

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Troy - That is a great door; I like all the detail work. It was a good idea to add the bead rivets. I also like the metal straps and the pins for hinges. You did a nice job applying the gel stain - the finish looks very natural.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your site is very useful for me,Thanks for your sharing.

    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Troy,
    I just found you on FB under one of the miniature sites I belong to. Great work. I am working on a cabin from scratch, and I was curious about which log cabin kit you got! It would have been easier with a kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit that I used was a homemade here in Oklahoma. They were produced to raise money for a child that was diagnosed with cancer many years ago. You may be able to do a similar kit with Lincoln Logs? I know there are a few log kits on the market. You may also be able to use a regular kit and glue half-round logs on the walls? Good luck.

      Delete
  10. Just terrific tutorial. Thank you. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. petite porte super,bonne continuation à vous.

    ReplyDelete