I spent some time building a front door for my cabin project this weekend.
I spent a little time, mainly on Pinterest getting some ideas. The white paper cut-out was my original concept from back when I started the project.
Then I cut the side pieces and the cross member and glued them to the door on the front and back.
I scored lines to give the illusion of many pieces of wood instead of a solid piece. Then did a dry fit, and glued it all together with craft glue.
I tried a new product "gel stain" available in the craft paint section. You paint it on, let it sit for a while, then wipe it off. It is water based and cleans up pretty easily. It was a lot easier than oil-based wood stain.
I glued on some metal straps that I had picked up a craft show and added some mini-faceted beads to give the illusion of iron rivets. Then coated the entire thing with a clear coat. It is a little more glossy than I would normally do, but live and learn.
These are the pieces of wood that I cut for the frame. I set the door inside, and used pins for hinges at the top and bottom, then glued the frame in place. The pieces on the paper are for the exterior trim.
Here is the door glued in place. I have ordered a door latch and will update after it arrives. The rocks around the front of the cabin are still a work in progress.
I was originally going to try some stained glass for the window, but I think I will stick with clear. I have also been debating painting the trim to match the windows.
To see additional blog posts on my cabin, click the cabin label below.