My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

TynieToy Nursery Update

I added some bedding and experimented with adding a canopy to the nursery crib.  I wanted to keep a 1920's - 1930's era feel for all of the items in this house


I'm not totally happy with the outcome, but it will do for now.


 I used some layers of foam core for the bed mattress and the support the bed skirt.


I found some pleated lace and used hot glue to attach the lace to the skirt

 
Here is a photo of the skirt attached to the crib


I like to look for antique handkerchiefs and doilies at estate sales to use on projects just like this.  I may use part of it to make a scarf for the dresser and fireplace as well.

I used a corner of this handkerchief for the bedding.  I was pretty happy with the result


I looked all around town for a crown to use for a canopy.  The closest thing I found was a Christmas ornament, which was too large. 

 
I ended up using a paper cup.  I cut away the top and part of the sides.

I used hot glue to hold it in place and added some textural elements, beads, a small plastic cherub, a bottle cap, and a small Christmas ornament.  I may need to scale down the beads..

I painted it white.  I decided to attach it a tall piece of cardboard instead of hanging it on the wall or ceiling.  I also found a stork image to use as a small mural.


I also found some ribbon that reminded me of the flowers on TynieToy and incorporated that.



I have been looking for artwork for the nursery walls.  
These are the pieces that I have found so far.  The frames are from the scrapbook section of the local hobby store.



The tall poster is contains several Mother Goose images, "a cow jumping over the moon," "the dish that ran away with the spoon," and "the cat and the fiddle."  The square image is from "Rock A Bye Baby on the tree top" and the oval image is a stork delivering a baby.

Nothing set in stone yet, but a little progress.

6 comments:

  1. I love how the crib looks with the bedding and image! And the pictures you've found are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un cambio fantástico , la ropa de cama todo un lujo. Unas imágenes muy dulces:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Troy,
    You certainly transformed the bed. I love the lace you used for the skirt of the crib and the bedding is just beautiful.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Troy - The crib looks wonderful; you've done beautiful work on the whole thing. The lace for the bedskirt is just the right thing, and of course your use of the antique handkerchief is perfect. I, too, like to use soft old handkerchiefs for bedding and curtains. All the different elements of the canopy work so well together. I love the mural backdrop and the flower trim. I also like all the cheerful artwork that you've chosen - I think that all your work is ready to be set in stone!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't a clue of how you were able to envision it, but your paper cup to canopy transformation is INGENIOUS!
    I Love bedding made from vintage hankies and the delicacy of yours is well suited to the crib.
    I Also like the framed illustrations of nursery rhymes; a sweet and nostalgic reminder of childhoods past

    ReplyDelete
  6. Troy, that is just too sweet! I'll send you my address and you can pop it in the mail to me! cheers!

    ReplyDelete