My Little Corner of the Net

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Copper Shop Window Shade

Notice anything different about the copper shop? The copper shop has a proper window in place now with a window shade.

The window I used for the copper shop room box was one that I found at a garage sale many years ago and did not contain any "glass"

This weekend, I added a thin piece of acrylic and some wood mullions to the interior.  Initially, I was going to do individual pieces of glass, but then I  decided to do one large piece and attache a wood grid to the back.

After I cut and sanded all of the pieces of wood, I stained all of the surfaces.

Here is the window and grid glued in place.

I constructed a cover out of wood that will house the roller shade.

 I am still working on the placement of the items in the shop (below)


 I have picked up a few discontinued fabric sample books here and there


I selected one that was cream colored with copper pin stripes and cut off the zigzag edges


Once I had the fabric cut to the correct width, I glued it to a wooden tooth pick
While that was drying, I applied some glue to the wooden box and applied fabric over it.

Here is the finished window treatment box

 Here is the shade and the box.  Note that I left the paper backing on fabric and the zigzag edge on one side.

 I attached a small copper colored chain in place with hot glue, then added the rolled up fabric shade.  The shade is non-functional, but I wanted it to look real from all angles, including looking into the shop from the outside.

 Here is a view of the shade attached in place

I also decided to glue some of the accessories in place, some copper measuring cups and kitchen utensils.  I also mounted a copper framed mosaic piece of art that was an estate sale find.
To see more posts about our Tulsa Miniature Club room box project, click the Copper Shop label below. 

7 comments:

  1. Your window shade with its pull chair is Brillliant!!! I love the size of the window and the shade is perfectly suited to the shop interior- Lovin' it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que bien queda la ventana y la cortina es preciosa,muy adecuada a la escena!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish! I love how the copper in the fabric will pop with all the copper in the shop. And well done on the window! Making your inner mullions match the outer ones can be so frustrating but yours came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant roller blind - the chain pull such a fabulous finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The window looks so much more significant with the interior mullions, Troy, and the shade is a wonderful detail! Love them! And, I am also so envious of your sample books! Those alone could spark a million creative ideas for mini fun! It's going to be so nead to see what all the club members came up with for this great project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Te ha quedado una ventana perfecta, las cortinas fantásticas:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Troy - I love that copper-striped window shade fabric! What a great idea to make the pelmet to cover the top of the shade. The pull chain is also a good touch. The finished window adds so much interest to the room. You've done some nice work!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete