My Little Corner of the Net

Monday, February 18, 2019

Shabby Chic Cabin Chimney

I made some progress on the chimney.


This is the chimney that came with the kit.  It is made from 1/2" thick foam core.

I hollowed out the chimney on the interior of the cabin and recessed the fireplace into it.

I had saved this recycled paper packaging to use.
It is similar to egg carton packaging.

I cut out a bunch of pieces to start out with.  I took advantage of all of the outside corners.  I am hoping this will give the illusion of larger "stones" 

I also cut a bunch of flat pieces.  After I started gluing, I realized that I had only cut out about half as many as I needed. 

I started at the bottom and worked my way up.  I am just using regular craft glue.


Half-way done?  I plan on filling in the joints with a mixture of quick drying drywall spackle mixed with a little glue and paint.


 I decided to add a little more height and a little more thickness to the chimney once I got near the top. I also added a wider top piece.


So here is where I left it last night.  I searched my studio and came up with some small spools for the chimney termination.  They are not glued in place yet - opinions?

Up next, I need to seal the stone, paint it, and then grout.



9 comments:

  1. The "stone" reminds me of the front limestone veneer on the home I grew up in. Limestone is found on so many homes in Indiana. That cardboard is in so many electronics I get at Best Buy. I keep it and if I need stone, I will have it handy. Thanks for the tip. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Troy,
    I think the chimney looks fantastic. Great job using the egg carton and I also really like the inside of the firebox. The chimney terminations look good.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks GREAT!!!
    Love the Stone and the spool/ chimney pots - good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esa chimenea se va viendo perfecta,los cartones se adaptan a ella de manera precisa!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stone, Troy, and perfect for the rustic charm you have going on this exterior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Troy - The chimney stone looks perfect - you've done such a good job making it look very realistic. I like the spool chimney pots - a great idea! I can't wait to see your work on the finish, especially the grout.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete