My Little Corner of the Net

Friday, February 1, 2019

Faux Deer Head Tutorial

I came across a Christmas place card holder at an estate sale recently and decided it was worth the 25 cents. I knew it was the right scale for 1:12.

This is what I came up with


This is what I started with.  I was drawn to the simple lines and the geometric antlers.
It was made from some sort of plastic or resin.

I began by removing the garland and metal card holder.

I used my Dremel tool and separated the head from the torso.

Once it was removed I sanded the cut smooth

Here is a view from the front.

Here is a view from the side

I added a few coats of white craft paint

I knew it would be a great piece for my shabby chic cabin.
(which I have been neglecting)

Here it is in place.  I like it because it draws your eyes from the unfinished fireplace!

6 comments:

  1. Es una buena idea,te quedó muy bonito!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative Troy, and such a perfect addition to the cabin (which I hope you'll get back to working on and sharing with us)! You have a great eye for scale and what could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Troy,
    Well done. It is a great transformation and a nice modern touch (I see those white deer heads in every high end designer shop).
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Troy - I absolutely love that deer head, and you've made an amazing transformation. Painting it white was such a good idea; the white antlers are beautiful. I'm not sure that I've seen your shabby chic cabin. From what I can see it the photo, it looks wonderful; how did I miss it? I think you should stop neglecting it and show it off! I'd love to see more.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for always sharing such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete