My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Cozy Cabin Farm Sink

I came across this 1:12 scale hutch at a yard sale a while back.  

It has some issues including a couple of the doors that are no longer connected and some missing door knobs, but it has good bones. I decided that it would be a good kitchen cabinet for the cabin project.  I have gone back and forth wondering about putting a sink in the cabin or not. One of the challenges I face on miniature projects (due to my architectural background) is how far to take a project to make it real.  Often times this involves projects not having stairs, or bathrooms, or fireplaces that are not stacked.  The struggle is real!

I started by removing the hutch top from the base.

I decided that it would be less work to eliminate one of the drawers in the base cabinet and center the sink.  I could also move the small drawers at the top to make room for a faucet.


I used my dremel tool to make the cut.  

I decided to build the farm style sink out of wood (it is made from paint stir sticks from the local home improvement store)

I cut the pieces and dry fit them in place.  Luckily I placed the hutch on top because the opening in the hutch is a little smaller than the hole in the base cabinet where the drawer was.

The sink involved a lot of sanding


I decided to move the small drawers up to be level with the upper cabinet doors.  I also filled some of the holes with lightweight spackle.  Hopefully that will work - typically I would use wood putty.



This shows the painted sink in it's place.

I decided to add a small grommet in the sink to give the illusion of a drain.



I kept the cabinet color green and put the white crackle finish over it. This is the finish that I have been using on all of the other wood in the cabin.  I figured a little green showing through might give it a little character.  I have a faucet on order and I want to make some cabinet pulls for the drawers.  Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. I love how it looks! It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estás haciendo una preciosa transformación!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Troy,
    That is both a wonderful find and a wonderful transformation. It will be perfect in the cabin. Well done.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right about the little cabinet having good bones, but your vision has made the unit into the perfect built in farmhouse sink! It's adorable and will be such a nice focal point in the cabin! And knowing when to stop... Yeah. That's s difficult one for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Great looking transformation Troy and Perfect for your cabin!
    You've a good eye to have seen the sink potential of this cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Troy - I like this cupboard and sink so much! It's going to be a perfect piece for the cabin. Moving the small drawers up to the height of the upper cabinet makes the cupboard look beautifully balanced; I like it better this way than the original piece. I also like the green finish and can't wait to see the sink with its new faucet.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete