My Little Corner of the Net

Friday, March 29, 2019

Clock Shop Room Box

Those of you that follow me on Instagram ( tulsaarchitect ) have already seen some of the progress on my clock shop room box.  


I have been 'toying' around with what items to place inside it.  


I picked up the mantle clock base at an estate sale for a few bucks.  I liked the architectural look of it. It is made from wood.

It also has some neat details carved into it and some interesting faux marble accents.  From what I can tell online, this type of clock was manufactured between 1850 - 1930.


The bottom is marked Russia - and has a little termite damage.

 I have picked up a few clocks here and there so I decided it would be a fun place to show them off in a clock shop.
One of the challenges of this piece is all of the miscellaneous pieces of wood that protrude into the box.  Its actually a pretty small space 4.5" D X 11" W 

I took the box partially apart.  It was put together with some really old flat head screws.
This allowed me to cut out some of the protrusions inside and give me a little more space.


I also removed the angled base trim pieces on each side to allow the opening to go clear to the floor and have some added height inside the space.  The area of raw wood is where I cut away pieces inside to allow for flush walls inside the room. I'm not sure what they stained the wood with in Russia a hundred years ago, but I ended up inhaling a bunch of it when I ran it through the table say and while sanding.

I used some sturdy cardboard for the interior walls. I initially wanted to go with an all white interior to contrast with the black exterior.  I also considered building in some recessed shelves, but there is not really enough room.

I painted the inside with bright white craft paint and added some textured scrapbook paper to the ceiling.  This was to represent an old tin ceiling.

I added a some pieces of wood on each side and at the tops to fill in the voids.
The wood baseboards and crown molding are painted and ready to be installed.



  
I  used some checkerboard scrap book paper for the floor and a piece of white wood trim on the edge.



After some consideration I decided to do something a little more interesting than white walls.  I experimented with an ombre' technique using some of the colors from the faux marble on the outside of the box. 

a close-up of the faux marble trim on the outside


This was how I achieved the wall color.  I started with globs of paint, some water and kind of blended it all together.  Then dried it with my wife's hair dryer. (please don't tell her )




This was what I have ended up with so far with some furniture for scale. It's still a work in progress.  I have been contemplating  if I should light it or not, add some shine to the floor, working on the round window, and some more clocks for the display.
Stay tuned!



11 comments:

  1. I love the walls! I would never have thought of that. But it's such a beautifully interesting backdrop for the furniture. And it contrasts nicely with the white ceiling and black and white floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool, Troy! I love the ombre' effect of the walls, the tin ceiling and checkered floors! It's a neat clock case and it's nice to think it has been rescued and turned into something that can be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!
    You have effectively maximized the interior space inside the clock and creatively made this display interesting to view, no matter where you look!
    I adore the complex ceiling trims coupled with the ombre' walls, and the graphic floor with the textured ceiling, which compliments the round window focal point -WOW WOW WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome project. I love the idea of an old clock rescue for a mini clock shop display - What a gem! The textures, colours and patterns you have used for the interior makes it look super dramatic and theatrical - Love it!!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to see a round window in the empty round hole. This is so lovely! Your creativity amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. I am impressed with your wall painting. It adds interest and looks quite sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Troy - I love your idea of using the old clock shell to display miniature clocks! The tin ceiling is beautiful and is a perfect complement to the flooring and the daring and unique wall paint treatment. (That must have been a lot of fun to create!) I can't wait to see what you decide to do with that wonderful round window!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Troy - I love your idea of using the old clock shell to display miniature clocks! The tin ceiling is beautiful and is a perfect complement to the flooring and the daring and unique wall paint treatment. (That must have been a lot of fun to create!) I can't wait to see what you decide to do with that wonderful round window!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  9. La idea ha sido un acierto,has hecho un precioso trabajo tanto en el exterior como en el interior de la estructura y se ve muy bonito y cuando descubramos que harás con esa maravilloso ventanal redondo,seguro será espectacular!!!
    Esperaré ansiosa tus avances!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Troy,
    This si an amazing project. the clock case is beautiful and the interior offers so much architectural detail for a miniature space. I love the painted wall effect and the ceiling is gorgeous. It is a very elegant roombox.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful idea! Original roombox.

    ReplyDelete