My Little Corner of the Net

Monday, March 11, 2019

1940's Rich Toys Colonial Mansion Door Repair

At some point in the life of my 1940's Rich Colonial Mansion, the door was replaced with a plain piece of wood.  

A friend of mine has a vinyl cutter and so I asked her cut out a decal to place on the door.
I prepared a CAD drawing for her to use based on another Rich Toys house in my collection.


Here is a photo of the door after the vinyl was installed.

I based the line work on the door of my other Rich Toys house shown here.


Here is a behind the scenes in-process photo


Here is a picture of the door that was with the house when I got it.  I do not know when it was added or what happened to the original door.  The hardware with flat screws suggests possibly the 1950's or 60's?

Here I am burnishing the new vinyl artwork onto the door.

The new vinyl 


Here is a close up.


Here is view from the interior after the new vinyl was added.  (I had two sets of vinyl so I used one set to the interior and one on the exterior.)
It has always bothered me that it was just a plain white piece of wood,  Now it has a little more character and it part of this house's history.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Troy,
    I am glad you restored the door. It works much better with the house then a simple wood door. Well done.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Troy - Yes, the vinyl detail adds so much more character to the door. Good decision. I love that porch glider, by the way - and the toys are a nice touch as well.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of using a vinyl detail instead of trying to draw it on and not looking very good. Bug question, is this vinyl cutter something anyone can purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Una buena decisión,se ve mejor que con una simple madera lisa.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete