My Little Corner of the Net

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Shabby Chic Cabin Curtains

I worked on some cafe curtains for the first floor of the cabin project this week.


 This photo was my inspiration for how I wanted the curtains to hang on the rod.  I decided to try and scallop the curtains at the top to give the illusion of the soft fabric hanging from the loops.


I started by having my mother-in-law sew a scalloped stitch on the fabric.  The linen fabric that I am using is the same fabric that I used to make the bedding.  It is a curtain panel that I purchased at an estate sale a while back.  I used one of the edges that already had a hemmed edge.  This will be the bottom.  


I then cut the panels to the correct width for my windows.


After cutting along the scalloped stitch for the top, I used my "Pretty Pleater" that I had purchased on Ebay a few years ago.  These are available in different scales.  I had won a used one in an auction so it wasn't too expensive.  It works by pressing the fabric in the grooves with an old credit card or in this case an old hotel room key.  I first got the fabric a little damp, then ironed it, then gave it a few coats of hair spray and let it dry overnight.


I used these jewelry findings for the curtain hooks.  They are available in different finishes and sizes.  I selected a size that would fit over the vintage brass curtain rods that I planned on using.


Sewing is my least favorite task.  I sewed on each ring individually.  If someone knows an easier way, please share it with me!


Here is one of the panels on the curtain rod.


I had to take all of the furnishings out of the cabin and lay the cabin on it's side to drill pilot holes for the curtain rod holders.


Here is a view of one side in place.


And here is the view from the front porch! 


You can also follow my progress on Instagram :
@tulsaarchitect

8 comments:

  1. Me gusta como lucen las cortinas!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Troy - Your pleated curtains have turned out very well, and the scalloped edges show up nicely. What patience you have to sew on all those curtain rings! I don't much like mini-sewing either; I never feel that I have much control over where the stitches end up on such small pieces. That old linen fabric is a great find. I'm glad that you decided to use it for the curtains.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shabby cafe curtains are a Hit!; especially with the additional brass rings rings and the rod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful! And the brass rods and rings are a great touch, warm but still feeling a bit shabby/antiqued. I'm especially impressed with how close you got the curtain rods to the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the curtains Troy! I wonder if I could get the same effect if I use corrugated cardboard? I might give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Troy,
    The curtains are fantastic. the scalloped edge was a great touch and really adds to the feeling of weight of the fabric. they are terrific.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey... When your MIL sews mini curtains for ya, you know she likes ya! Love the casual curtains on their adorable rods and the whole look of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Troy - the curtains turned out a real treat, looking soft and beautifully draped. Scalloping the upper edge before putting them in place is such a clever little trick.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete