My Little Corner of the Net

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The ARCADIANS




















The ARCADIANS is a small children's 16 page booklet that was created by the Arcade Manufacturing Company, Freeport ILL. I got this copy from an old bookstore to compliment my collection of Arcade cast iron miniatures. The copyright is 1927. It serves as both a story for both boys and girls and an advertisement for the company. It is interesting because it has color illustrations of all the popular toys that the Arcade company was trying to sell and each page boasts how great Arcade toys are.


I love the style of this period and the children's clothing. The book has a "Wizzard of Oz" kind of feel of the book.


Arcade Mfg. Co., Freeport, Illinois was in business between 1868 to 1946. The first made toys in 1884. As late as 1939, Arcade's toy line included over 300 items including toy banks, doll house furniture, and cast-iron penny toys trains cars and tractors. Arcade was one of the most important manufacturer of cast-iron toys.














































6 comments:

  1. Beautiful book indeed!Nostalgic!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where I might buy a book like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them come up for bid on eBay, but you might also try internet searches.

      Delete
    2. I recently came across some small posters advertising this booklet. I am not sure if they are originals or repro. If anyone here is interested...

      Delete
    3. Hello Mrs Sweeney, I would be interested in seeing what you found related to the Arcade Posters. my email is tulsatinystuff@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi, I have seen this book at the museum store in Freeport, Il. The store is located at the Stephenson County Historical Museum, in Freeport, Illinois. Freeport was home to the Arcade Manufacturing Company. The museum has the largest public display collection of Arcade toys. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete