My Little Corner of the Net

Monday, October 7, 2019

Red Carpet Time - Oscar

The members of Tulsa Miniature Club are each working on a small back stage dressing room vignette.  We are each adding something for everyone.  I was asked to make a trophy or an Oscar.



Here is a behind the scenes messy photo shoot!

Tulsa is fortunate to have a Fab Lab.  A place where you can go use 3D printers and Lasers cutters, etc. for a small fee.



I was surprised that there was already several 3D computer models to choose from online.
I selected one and grouped several together.



The was the 3D printer that I used.



Yes, that says 3 hours and 3 minutes to print 14 Oscars!




Here is a photo of the finished product.  The material is clear, so I had to hold it in the sun to get a picture.


The software added a bunch of supports that I had to cut away.


I hot glued the statues temporarily to a stick so that I could spray paint them.


Here they are all painted.  The paint was Rustoleum Shiny Brass. 


I then cut a dowel into several small pieces and hot glued them to a stick for painting.




Once the paint was dry, I glued the statues onto the base.  I found out that Gorilla Glue worked best.  Super Glue and hot glue didn't stick to the statue very well.


 Here is one of the the statues making an appearance on the red carpet.


7 comments:

  1. And the Oscar goes to.... TROY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a fabulous bunch of Oscars! What an amazing workshop lab to have access to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome! Can't wait to see them in a mini scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are tremendous, Troy! Excellent work, and I can't wait to see and hear more about the club's project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Troy - Nice work using the 3-D printer; the Oscars turned out beautifully. This is an interesting project - it'll be fun to see more.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I like the job you are doing using 3D printers, i have made few models using 3D printer on my blog page if you would like to have a look.

    ReplyDelete