Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Clock Shop Room Box Update
Although I never really feel like a project is finished, I feel the clock shop room box is at a point where there is not much more I can do. ( in fact I have found and added another clock since this photo was taken!)
The feet and the lion heads were taken from another antique clock, I touched up the paint of them.
For those of you that follow me on Instagram, you have already seen some of this.
This photo shows the shelves and the refinished desk chair. I also painted one of the grandfather clocks black. It was green when I found it at a sale.
I have had this chair with faded fraying fabric - I believe it is either Block House or Sonia Messer, but it is not marked. I removed the fabric, refinished the wood and added some new lime colored seat.
As you may recall, I found the clock case at an estate sale for few bucks and couldn't resist the architectural look of it. The clock case was missing the columns, so I decided to add some. I went into a local clock repair shop here in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and was surprised that replacement pieces could be ordered. I purchased a piece of paper with a marble print and ordered the metal column capitals and bases. He also confirmed that the clock that I had was from the mid to late 1800's.
I had wooden dowels at home, so I just had to cut them in half lengthwise on my table saw as well as cut them to the proper length.
I gave the capitals and bases a coat of gold paint.
The wooden dowels are all cut to length.
I just used craft glue to adhere the paper to the wooden dowels.
If you look closely, the column bases and capitals are held in place with nails. I also added some hot glue just to be safe and a dab of gold paint to the nail heads.
The top "pediment" of the clock was also missing a decorative scroll. I cleaned it off as good as I could and also used some Armor All after some internet research.
I found this decorative metal piece at Hobby Lobby, its not exactly what was there, but it will work out just fine. Here is it is before I painted it gold.
A friend of mine printed out a vinyl clock face which I attached to the inside of the glass bezel. The door frame and glass were another piece that I picked up from the clock repair shop.
I used hot glue to put the glass in the frame, but didn't like the looks of the glue, so I added some clack fabric cord to the inside ( and also painted the hinge black since this photo was taken)
That pretty much brings you up to speed on this project. It has been a lot of fun and I learned quite a bit along the way.