My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Cozy Cabin Front Porch

I made some headway on the front porch this evening. I am using Paperclay to create the stone porch.  I rolled the Paperclay into sections that were about 1/8" thick.  I had designed the wood frame for the porch and screwed and glued it to the base of the cabin.
Initially I was going to use wood for the porch floor, but then decided that stone would look better.  I infilled the center of the porch sections with foam.  It is both lightweight and created a surface that I could glue to.  Another reason I am using Paperclay instead of real rocks is because it is very lightweight.  I had used real stone on a house previously and it weighed a ton!


I coated the porch with craft glue and laid the clay over it.  I smoothed it out and then 'drew' a stone pattern with my clay tools.  Then I worked each stone to try and make it look unique and stone-like.


Here is the corner column with the stones attached.  While the clay was still moist, I worked & shaped it into the original angled design.


Here was some more progress on the floor and one of the other corner porch supports.

Just one more column to go, then I will continue with the stone base around the rest of the cabin. I have decided that I will hold off painting the rocks until after I get  all of the stone installed.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Troy,
    The stonework is wonderful. It already looks quite realistic. I love the columns! It is such a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encantan las piedras del porche,son muy reales!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Troy - I think the stone porch, rather than wood, was a great choice. The stone is looking good, and the columns add so much realism. Nice work; I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete