My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fisher Price House

My mother-in-law was doing some spring cleaning, and came across a few of my wife's old toys.  Ironically, we both owned the Fisher Price Play Family House #952 when we were kids.  I guess it is safe to say that was my first miniature house.  I think I got mine around 1972.




The house was produced in the 1960's and 1970's and has great graphics.   The body is made from masonite board and and a hard durable plastic. There are some great features, like the working doorbell and that looks like a light fixture in the living room.  The styling is very 70's.  It is interesting to compare this house to the Bliss dollhouses that were produced a century earlier,



Another great design feature was the handle on the roof that kept the house closed when the handle was in the upright position.  


Part of the graphics show everything from a roaring fire in the fireplace and all kinds of toys upstairs in the nursery.  The dormer windows are another great feature.


I always thought that the fireplace and double ovens in the kitchen were very cool.  It reminded me of the kitchen on The Brady Bunch.  Its kind of fun to have one back in my possession.  It brings back a lot of memories.  I have to admit my wife kept hers in much better condition than I did.  I ended up doing a little "remodeling" on mine.

What did you play with when you were a child ?

15 comments:

  1. Your Fisher Price House is wonderful! looks perfect in the photos!
    I am older than you... my dad made me some wooden furniture (I still have them) and got one small doll. I made a dollhouse into a very small wooden "first aid cabinet". I was even able to lock it with the key.
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treasure. I bet it means a lot coming from your dad. You should do a post about it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Troy! That is a good idea!
      Hugs
      Kikka

      Delete
  2. I coveted my neighbor Mary Beth's Petite Princess dollhouse- not the vinyl case one- but the three story
    cardboard brick Georgian. My constant telling her she was arranging the furniture wrong was a test to our
    friendship. So I had to be satisfied with my "house" I created in the woods. All the neighbor kids had their
    twig huts- I had- in my mind- a complete center hall colonial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - What a great story. Truth be told, when it came to furniture arangements, I always had an opinion too. I remember my cousin had a big Barbie house, with all kinds of furniture and an elevator. I used to help her with that too.

      Delete
  3. Hello Troy,
    Memories...I used to love playing with mine, though it was a different style. I can't believe the great shape it's in...a real treasure...adn a blast from the past.
    hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter had one of these. Sadly it probably went to Goodwill a long time ago. I do still have the Fisher Price barn and little people. My son-in-law said he had one of them when he was a kid.

    I used to play outside as much as possible. I liked to make boats from fallen leaves and build dams in the stream behind our house. All of this hidden under a big weeping willow tree. :D I feel like a kid now when I'm working on my miniatures. I still would rather be outside but it's been raining for five days and we might get snow tomorrow. A trip to the beach would be perfect! Building a sand castle sounds like fun on a dreary day like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love building sand castles too. My kids and I love to do that at the beach, which would be great about now. We have had weather in the teens for several days now. I also have the Fisher Price houseboat. I liked the table with it because it had a lobster on it.

      Delete
  5. My sister had that same house! Truth: I played with it more than she did. Wasn't there a little staircase with a closet underneath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, a yellow plastic staircase with a door and the door had a window. I used to pretend it was the bathroom.

      Delete
  6. I had the same one when I was a kid - as a hand-me-down (I think it was my sister's, originally). But I LOVED the doorbell when I was a kid. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great fun finding it! My sister had a Fisher Price "boot house" in the early seventies, l had a Brio two story dolls house. Sadly none of them excist today. I have had such luck as to find a handmade dollshouse from the fifties at a junk sale for very little money. A small norwegian farm house. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and fantastic blog. I am interested very much in the subject matter of your blog, it’s my first visit.

    SRS Contracting Co.
    Price for  custom homes in Oak Forest

    ReplyDelete