My Little Corner of the Net

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cozy Cabin Stair Research

I have not given up my cabin project.  In fact, I have been over-thinking it.  I worked a little more on the stairs on my cabin the other night.  I have had "designers block"  If anyone has medication for this, please let me know!

 I have been doing some research and I came across this swirly modern design, and thought it was very cool - while it is too ornate and refined for the cabin, I do like the idea of filling the whole space from floor to ceiling with some sort of divider.

 Initially, I was thinking of something kind of plain like this.

I do have access to a laser cutter so one of the ideas that I am leaning towards is a panel, perhaps with a design similar to these cat-tails.

 or a laser cut design with trees, mountains and bears ?


 I also like the idea of doing something not so typical with wood twigs



 This railing is done with vines - but I am not quite sure how this would translate into miniature or my cabin. ( or how you dust it ? )

 I like the kind of Arts & Crafts feel of this wooden cut-out 

 I also have been thinking of doing something with metal.  I follow Ray Whitledge's blog and he did a beautiful metal railing.  Click here to see his fine work!

 I like the kind of Asian, modern, artsy feel of this metal panel. I also like the metal random twigs and leaves on the last two.



I may have to make a small sample of each and try to decide which one looks best.  As always, I appreciate your comments, ideas and suggestions!

8 comments:

  1. I Feel Your Pain! LOL! Those are all intriguing ideas! Sometimes I find it is best to go with the "original" idea....let the fancier railings find a fancier project! But you will have to decide for yourself! I over-think too much too....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees and mountains and bears, oh my! Love that idea!

    I totally know what you mean about "over thinking" a project. My coffee shop is where I keep getting "stuck." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find that medication please share, I've been trying to work out a spiral staircase and it is not going great. Sometimes things are clearer after a little break from them, I look forward to seeing what you work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great ideas from which to choose, I think the twigs look rustic arty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Troy,
    They all look awsome! I think many styles would work...mnaybe trying a few test pieces to see which translates well into miniatures.
    Can't wait to see what you decide on.
    Have a great weekend,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Troy,
    Wow, A laser cutter!! You are a lucky person!

    I like the cattails -- I guess because of the environment they invoke.

    Cheers,
    Iris
    http://irismarchcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Troy,

    Some 'mock-ups' will help you decide. I have a feeling that the laser-cut panels won't translate well into miniature. I could be completely wrong, but I think your original idea would look best in 1:12th scale. Now, a RL stair is a whole different matter! (I love wrought iron)! I'm sure that whichever option you chose, it will amaze in true-Troy fashion!

    ReplyDelete