My Little Corner of the Net

Friday, June 8, 2018

Tynietoy Repairs

I have acquired a few TynieToy pieces that need a little work. 

I acquired this Tynietoy shield back chair a while back.  Note a small piece of of the back is missing.  I cut a replacement piece, glued it in place.

After letting the glue dry, I sanded it and stained it to match.  Matching the stain was not an easy task.  I ended up using a few different layers and colors, and even some markers to try and get a close match.

Another Tynietoy project that has been on the shelf was the corner of this dressing table.  When I bought it, it was missing a piece of the corner.  I sanded some wood to the correct thickness and glued it in place.  Then sanded it to be in alignment with rest of the top.


The paint touch-up, it close but not quite there yet.  It looks better than it did when I started.



This Tynietoy lamp project has been on the back burner also. I purchased the lamp knowing that the shade was damaged.  It had been repaired many years ago using some old fabric tape.  



After removing the tape, the old brittle hand-painted cardboard shade was in pieces.


I attached the pieces to some thin acid free vellum using some acid free glue


I was mostly happy with the piece, but the white vellum really stood out.


I came across some metallic, gold color acid free scrap book paper and decided to line the shad with that.



 One of the things that I really enjoy about this lamp are the original old metal brads with lots of patina.


It mostly looks pretty great now and probably a lot more like it did when it was new.
The Tynietoy company manufactured dollhouse miniatures from 1920 - 1942.  They enlisted students from the Rhode Island School of Design to hand paint each piece.

To see some more of my Tynietoy collection click HERE or the label below.

7 comments:

  1. I think the lamp is my favorite it turned out so well! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great job of the lamp. You have a fantastic Tynietoy collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una lamparan preciosa. Gran trabajo.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good restoration work on each piece, most especially with the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unas reparaciones perfectas!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Troy - I always admire your skill at making repairs to furniture pieces, and your repairs on the chair and that broken corner of the dressing table are impressive. But the lampshade makeover is amazing - and done so well, especially with the addition of the metallic gold paint, that it looks like a new piece! Your repair technique is interesting to see - thanks for sharing!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Troy! You have done an amazing job with the repairs! It is not easy to match colors and stains... the closer you get the more the difference is noticeable.... ! But seeing the minis repaired is wonderful.... one hates to think of such old and enduring pieces becoming "ruins".... and you have given them new life! The lamp is charming and hardly looks "repaired" at all!

    ReplyDelete