The replacement pieces are made and glued in place.
As you may recall from my last post, this is what I started out with.
A complete chair and an incomplete sofa.
I carefully removed the arms, supports and one of the carved ball and claw legs from the chair so that I could reproduce them. This was my first experience making molds and creating resin pieces and I have to admit, it was fun. I have posted a few pictures of the progress below.
This was my first attempt at making two piece molds - there are several helpful videos online that you should watch before you attempt.
I will confess, it took several tries to figure out what I was doing. The first 4 arms did not work out and the first two of the five ball and claw feet that I made did not turn out. You can see the leg at bottom right (above) Air in the mold caused the ball and claw not to form where the chair leg got skinny. I figured out a work-around, I filled this part of the mold first, then put the two pieces of the mold together and filled it the rest of the way up with the resin.
Here are the finished pieces of resin, cleaned up and sanded and ready for paint and stain and a clear coat.
Here you can see the chair re-assembled and the sofa with its new arms and legs.
If anyone needs any molds for Sonia Messer legs and arms, I know where you can get find some real cheap!
To see part one of my this post click HERE