My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Smithsonian Miniature finds

I had the opportunity to travel to Washington DC.  The Smithsonian was on my list of things to do.  I was surprised to find quite a few dollhouses scattered around in the National Museum of American History.


This first dollhouse belonged to the children of President Grover Cleveland and was made by the White House Gardener in 1896.  It was part of a display of the toys of the White House Children.


This green roofed dollhouse belonged to Amy Carter, daughter of former President Jimmy Carter.  It dates from 1979.  The mailbox had the address "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" painted on it.


This charming little bungalow was with a display of toys from the 1920's.  I have found this house in Diane Zillner's Book Antique Dollhouses and their Furnishings.  It states that the roof flips up and that that it was probably made in Germany.  The railing on the porch and the textured shingles are made from pressed cardboard.


 I was surprised to come across this display.  I had not heard of Faith Bradford or her dollhouse - but it was amazing.  It had everything from Tynietoy to homemade and antique pieces. The display also has a scrapbook that the she kept on the collection.




The collection was donated to the Smithsonian in 1951.



Here is a picture I found online of Faith Showing the house back in 1966.  It was curteousy of the Washington Star.


There is a good website here that has details about each of the rooms:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/small_exhibition.cfm?key=1267&exkey=376&pagekey=812

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your trip to the Smithsonian! Love that little bungalow. It has inspired me to add a window box to my garage dormer. Very pretty little house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was suprised how big the Faith Bradford house was. I found it hard to tell what was Tynietoy. I loved the luggage in the attic and the cozy Grandparents room. It was fun watching the children too. CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Troy, may I have permission to link this to my recent Smithsonian blog post? Thanks CM More2view@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Realitty and I were at the Smithsonian in April too. We must have missed you by a couple of days. Thanks for the wonderful post. You accomplished much more than I could have with my pictures.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the exact same doll house as the one shown of Amy carter's. It was built for me when I was 6 years old from the same blueprints. The only difference is mine has working electrical lights throughout. Also, my mom repainted it from the original green to a blue roof and trim. I was never allowed to play with this house and it sits in my garage. It is kind of neat to know that I have something that is in the Smithsonian. I may not be Amy Carter but it is special just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is awesome! I am sorry that you never got to play with it - If it were me. I would start playing with it now!

      Delete
    2. I just inherited the same type of dollhouse as the Amy Carter dollhouse from my dad's new wife. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting the lights working again. What can you tell me was the company that made these or had the blueprints/materials. I'm interested in getting some history on this treasure.

      Delete
    3. I just inherited the same type of dollhouse as the Amy Carter dollhouse from my dad's new wife. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting the lights working again. What can you tell me was the company that made these or had the blueprints/materials. I'm interested in getting some history on this treasure.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the double post Mine was built in 1978.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how I would find out how much it is worth? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once told me "its only worth as much as someone will pay for it" Do you know who the manufacturer is or where it was purchased? There are quite a few price guides out there. I have several. A lot of the value would be on condition and also on the contents and their quality - i.e. furniture, lights, finishes. Do you have any photos you send?

      Delete
  8. It was created by a retired carpenter and electrician that my mom hired. It has all kinds of furnishings from an authentic rooper range to a working 57 chevy in the garage. It is great condition. I would have to pull it out of storage to get some pictures. I am a nurse and am working midnights, but I will try to get some for you.

    ReplyDelete