My Little Corner of the Net

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cozy Cabin Fireplace Update

I haven't worked on the Cozy Cabin project in ages.  To be honest I was a little discouraged after I started the fireplace a while back.  I used some inexpensive air dry clay.  I made the rocks, glued them in place and let it dry.  Sadly, the clay shrunk by almost 50% and most of them fell off the walls.  Needles to say it has been sitting in this state for quite a while,


  Until today!

This is what it looked like at the end of today.  

Let me back up-


I started off by removing all of the cabin furniture which needed to be dusted any way.


I scraped off the old air-dry clay rocks.

This was the debris field outside the cabin.  I decided that since the clay was done shrinking, I could probably re-use some of it. 

After a little research, this was the design I came up with.  I made a template out of cardboard and a removable firebox too.

 I decided to work horizontal this time.  The two logs will support the mantle.


This is the firebox portion of the fireplace.  I started by re-using some of the old pieces and gluing them in.

This was my progress early on.  I had envisioned that I would roll our the clay and glue it on, but I was having trouble getting the river rocks to look round, so I ended up rolling the clay into different sized "rocks" in my hands and glueing them on one at a time.  I mixed in some of the rocks from the previous fireplace. After the everything drys, I will paint.

To see my earlier posts on the cabin click HERE or on the cabin label below.


5 comments:

  1. Looks great Troy, I look forward to seeing it painted. I love feeling of the room with the beams and rustic chandelier.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Troy,
    What a shame the original did not work out, but I must say I love the design of the new fireplace and cannot wait to see it finished. It will be magnificent and work so well in your gorgeous cabin.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta el aspecto de la chimenea con las piedras y de la cabaña en general,es muy acogedora!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, when the first version doesn't work out, the replacement comes out even better! I think your chimney is looking wonderful! I have not tried the air drying clay, but I have seen others have problems with it cracking and shrinking. That's why I appreciate Sculpey so much... it stays the same size when cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you used the log ends for the supports for your mantle,and that you were able to repurpose the old rocks for use inside the firebox.
    The tapered shape of your fireplace looks Perfect for this room and I love the antler chandelier hanging in this space as well. :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete