This is what it looked like at the end of today.
Let me back up-
I started off by removing all of the cabin furniture which needed to be dusted any way.
I scraped off the old air-dry clay rocks.
This was the debris field outside the cabin. I decided that since the clay was done shrinking, I could probably re-use some of it.
After a little research, this was the design I came up with. I made a template out of cardboard and a removable firebox too.
I decided to work horizontal this time. The two logs will support the mantle.
This is the firebox portion of the fireplace. I started by re-using some of the old pieces and gluing them in.
This was my progress early on. I had envisioned that I would roll our the clay and glue it on, but I was having trouble getting the river rocks to look round, so I ended up rolling the clay into different sized "rocks" in my hands and glueing them on one at a time. I mixed in some of the rocks from the previous fireplace. After the everything drys, I will paint.
To see my earlier posts on the cabin click HERE or on the cabin label below.