My Little Corner of the Net

Friday, April 26, 2013

Helping The "Homeless"

All of my miniatures are still packed up and my new miniature room is still on the drawing boards.  I did spend yesterday's lunch hour at one of my favorite antique malls here in town.  There was a new booth with all kinds of  antique and vintage dolls.



Let me preface my comments by saying that I typically do not like dolls or people in my room boxes or miniature scenes or houses.  For me, it destroys that illusion that it is a real space.  I must be changing, because I was actually considering "adopting" a few yesterday.  I really like the look of the Cupie Dolls - they might add some character to some of my stuff from the 1920's.


I was also looking at the white porcelain lady in the middle of this picture - she may be perfect for some of my Victorian cast iron pieces?


I was also considering the lady in the long dress with the green sash.  If any of you are know about these dolls, please let me know.  If any of you are interested in adopting, I can probably arrange that too!  


I snapped a shot of this piece - not sure why, it caught my eye.  It is a folk art piece made from scraps of wood and old cigar boxes.  Lots of detail and craftsmanship.

8 comments:

  1. Troy, I am no authority, but I did work with a lot of this kind of stuff when I was restoring for Pat Arnell. The house that you were looking at is most likely a Spirit House from Thailand. We had a couple of them at the museum that Pat brought back from there when she was traveling...I always wanted one. I don't know if they are still used, but over there they are placed in the front yard,so that evil spirits won't enter their real houses.

    As for the dolls, I was a non believer too, until Tessie started invading my territory. I made several witches for Pat's Witch's mansion.

    When I got to one that I did riding a motorcycle, that was the turning point....I decided that I needed one of those. It grew from there.

    You are spot on. The Cupies for a 20s house. The black haired China dolls for the Victorian.

    Personally, I would be grabbing tin type photos. I have some of those and use them in my houses regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only hang up with the tin types is that I dont know that people. What if they were evil? lol Thanks for the info on the spirit house. I dont think I have seen the doll riding a motor cyle?

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a wonderful stall. Some amazing dolls and other antiques. I love your choice of dolls. The house is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go back and forth with dolls, too. I have a few but don't like to photograph them in my rooms for the same reason --but still, they're fun to have!

    I would be a little hesitant to bring a Thai Spirit House into MY RL home! (What if there were still some evil spirits living in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grab that gal with the green sash, She looks wonderful! I always feel foolish but I really like my dolls. Pretty soon they seem right at home. It even seems like sometimes they breed, so watch out... ;) CM

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to read you are maybe coming around to let little dollies live in your lovely houses...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee... watch out.... if you let One doll in the door.... pretty soon they are running your life! LOL! But I wouldn't want it any other way... they add so much Fun to the Houses... and you can always make them go sit on a shelf if they misbehave...!
    I agree that is a Thai Spirit House... I think you are supposed to put offerings of flowers and food out daily to Appease the Spirits!

    ReplyDelete