I had a little time tonight after we got the kiddos to bed so I decided to start the large fireplace in the living room.
This was my concept sketch. I need to find the right piece of wood for the mantle.
I am using air-dry clay. I first made some flat sheets for the 3 sided of the firebox. Then I decided that they looked to flat, so I added a few more "stones"
I rolled a bunch of different size balls with the clay and squished them into shapes. I put some craft glue on the back of the ones that are next to the log walls.
The box says that there will be some shrinkage when the clay drys. The clay is supposed to dry white, then I play on painting it. I hope that it holds together as it drys...I will keep you posted.